Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Upside Down World Map

I've always wondered about the Earth. I mean, the Earth is a sphere, so wouldn't that mean that people at the South Pole and at the bottom half of the Earth are standing upside down? I know that the reason why they don't fall off is gravity, but wouldn't they feel weird standing upside down? I asked my dad, and he said that although theoratically half the Earth's inhabitants are "upside down" at any one time, nobody looks upside down because to them, their half of the Earth is the right way up and the other half is upside down!


Then, he showed me this "upside down worlds map" made in Australia. Australia is known as Down Under because it is, according to the world, near the bottom of the Earth. However, in this map, Australia is challenging this. This world map, as its name suggests, has Antarctica and Australia at the top of the world and South America on top of North America. It shows another way of looking at the Earth. Cool, isn't it?


This picture is kind of small, but you can click on it to view a page where it is much, much, much larger. Enjoy!

No comments: