Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Meniscus



I researched on meniscus and found many answers, mostly too scientifc ones. However, I finally managed to come across a clear but simple explanation. There are two websites which I got my answer from.

Basically, water has polar molecues, just like glass. Polar molecuse tend to stick togther, so the water sticks to the edge of the measuring cylinder. Hence, the water will tend to form a curve and creep up the edge of the cylinder. This will result in the formation of a concave meniscus, as depicted in A. A convex meniscus, depicted in B, is very rare but may be formed by liquids like mercury where the molecules of the liquid have a stronger attraction to each other than to the container.

What I'm wondering is, if a cylinder of a different material is used, will it also form a meniscus and why? Surely not all material have polar molecues? And what does surface tension have to do with this?

These are the websites that I used for my research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meniscus

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080917134724AArrlg8

1 comment:

Lyndon said...

I'm glad you used mercury as an example to demonstrate a concave meniscus. Mercury is a highly dense liquid and the particles are held more closely together compared to water. This results in a concave meniscus as you mentioned.