Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Convection currents

Today Mr. Lim talked about convection currents in class. He posed two questions for us: 1. Since warm air rises and and cold air sinks, will a taller person feel colder than a short person? 2. based on the same concept, will people on the 40th floor feel warmer than on the 15th floor? If yes, why do people claim to feel "cooler" on the uppermost floors?

I think that a tall person would probably feel warmer. This is because they are higher up and the warm air will circle around them. Surprisingly, I have also observed this very often: My taller friends would be sweating profusely, while my shorter friends are huddling together trying to get warm!

As for the second question, I don't think it makes a difference since every level has air-conditioning! As for people feeling "cooler" on the top levels, it is because that is where the cooling unit for the entire building is.

No comments: